This French silk pie is to die for. It is smooth and creamy with the most delicious rich chocolate flavor. This is a really simple recipe with only 5 ingredients in the filling. That being said, it is important to closely follow the instructions and steps for a smooth filling.
What you need for the filling:
- Butter: salted or unsalted butter work in this recipe. You want your butter to be at room temperature.
- Eggs: it is important to note that this recipe calls for raw eggs. I use fresh eggs from my chickens but feel free to use pasteurized eggs if you are weary of eating raw. Use your own judgement here. I’ve actually found that using cold eggs works better because it gives the filling more structure when mixing.
- Sugar: regular granulated sugar is what I have tested this recipe with
- Vanilla: even though this is a chocolate pie recipe the addition of vanilla adds a wonderful flavor to the filling.
- Melted chocolate: make sure you get unsweetened baking chocolate.
How to make French silk pie
Using a stand mixer is easiest for this recipe because the mixing time is fairly long. You can certainly use a hand mixer if that’s all you have. First you’ll need to blind bake your pie crust according to the package instructions, you can certainly do homemade as well. Then you want to melt the chocolate. You can do this in the microwave or on the stovetop. Be very careful not to burn it, that has happened to me a time or two! I like to heat it until the chocolate is about half way melted and then stir it until the rest is melted. Set the chocolate aside to cool. Next cream your butter with the sugar, scrape the bowl and make sure it is fully incorporated. Add the cooled chocolate and vanilla. Next you will add the first egg and mix 4 minutes. You will also mix 4 minutes after the addition of each egg (here is where that long mixing time comes in). This is very important and ensures that the filling is smooth and the sugar is not gritty. Pour the filling into the cooled pie crust. Make the whipped cream then spread it evenly on the filling. Add optional chocolate curls and refrigerate at least 3 hours before serving. Enjoy!
French Silk Pie
- 1 pie crust (homemade or store bought)
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- 4 oz unsweetened baking chocolate
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 1.5 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- Bake pie crust according to box instructions. Homemade pie crust would also be wonderful! Let the pie crust cool.
- In a small saucepan, melt the chocolate on low heat. watch closely to make sure it does not burn. Put the chocolate in a bowl to cool.
- Cream the butter and sugar, scraping the bowl to ensure it is completely combined.
- Beat in cooled chocolate and vanilla until well blended.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing for 4 minutes between each addition. I know this is a lot of mixing but it makes for a light, fluffy, and smooth filling.
- Pour into cooled pie crust.
- Combine cold heavy cream, vanilla, and powdered sugar into bowl. You can use a stand mixer or hand mixer. Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Spread whipped cream onto chocolate filling. Top with chocolate curls if desired. Chill at least 3 hours before serving.